WASHINGTON, Iowa – For more than a century, the Mills Seed Co. building has stood the test of time, and now, in its new location, has moved into a new era.
Built in 1907 to house the Mills Seed Company’s western wholesale and distribution center, the three-story brick building has had a series of owners over the years, including Curran Co., the maker of greeting cards, and the Washington Pearl Button Company.
Treasured remnants of those businesses can be found throughout the building, which was moved in 2010 from 604 N. Seventh Ave., to its current site at 212 N. Iowa Ave., in Washington’s Main Street District.
Now owned by Terry Philips and a group of investors, the building is used as an annex for Friends of Historic Preservation’s Salvage Barn, with flooring and other salvaged items for sale, as space for window repair – one of Philips’ specialties – and as a performance venue for concerts and gatherings.
A recent event raised money for a memorial for a beloved member of the community, Ed Jones, who was allegedly killed by his roommate this summer.
The building has hosted a series of concerts over the past few years, including Catfish Keith, who performed in the intimate space on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018. Philips also provides tours of the historic building during breaks.
Dates of future performances can be found on the Mills Seed Co. Facebook page.